Friday, February 11, 2011

dreams really do come true.



Those of you who know me (and shoot, probably a few who don't) will doubtless recall my long standing obsession with going to a calçotada.

In brief summary, a calçotada is a Catalan tradition that involves going to a field where onions have been packed into the ground such that they mutate and become long stalks, then charring the living daylights out of them, then letting them steam in their own goodness. Then it's over the lips, over the gums, look out stomach, here it comes!

I'm happy to report that tomorrow morning I get to cross that particular life goal off my list. We leave at some crazy hour like 6 AM, fly into Barcelona, where my friend Anselmo will pick us up in his chariot and whisk us away to a fantastical place where onions grow in stalks and have been patiently waiting all winter for us to eat them. If we're lucky, we may even get a song-and-dance number out of the onions and Romescu sauce (a la "Be Our Guest").

1 comment: