Wednesday, September 15, 2010

he llegado

I got to Madrid this morning after a pretty difficult flight. A combination of nerves and anticipatory homesickness made me pretty sick, especially the first leg of the flight, and now it's all recovery. things are better now that I'm here staying with a friend and have been able to stretch my legs out, although if I'm honest I have been feeling really homesick on and off all day still.

why does no one ever talk about how scary this is? Do not get me wrong, I love travel and I am really looking forward to settling in in Bilbao, but moving away from home to a city on a different continent where I don't really know anyone is flipping scary. On the other hand, nothing truly worthwhile in life ever comes without a fight I don't think.

On the brighter side, I've made some good connections through couchsurfing I think, so if those pan out well I might have some instant friends.

Tomorrow I think we're going to go exploring in Madrid. Tony Bourdain just did a show here so maybe we'll hit up one or two of the places he ate...

that's it for now.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you made it safely!
    And you make a good point, I think most of us have done a bit of traveling before, but that doesn't stop me from getting SO nervous every single time. Can't wait to see you in Bilbao!

    ReplyDelete