Wednesday, December 15, 2010

17 hours.


Tomorrow morning at 7:20 AM, I get on the first of many airplanes that will eventually take me back to the Land of the Free.

What I'm looking forward to:

- Airplane food. I cannot even explain how much I love airplane food. I understand that it's gross; I understand that if you were to serve that same food to me in any other context I would be grossed-out at best. I don't care. I love the anticipation as the cart gets closer, I love getting to choose between pasta and chicken, I love the miracle of that ridiculously tiny amount of food somehow filling me up. Love it, love it, love it.

- Someone in the Frankfurt airport talking to me in German. After a few months in a country where I stick out everywhere I go, where no matter how much I shop at Mango and Zara and no matter how little eyeliner I wear I'm still so obviously foreign, it's oddly comforting to have someone mistake me for a fellow countryman. Even if all I can say in German is "Away with the ugly thing!" and "Damn it all anyway!" (thanks, Mom and Dad.)

- Kara's wedding. My friend Kara, who is one of my very favorite people I've ever lived with and also generally a beautiful person, is getting married on Saturday. I'm so lucky things worked out for me to be able to go living in another country!

- Seeing my family! Obviously. And Christmas. If I'm honest, spending Thanksgiving away from home was not that big of a deal for me, but I am so grateful to be able to spend Christmas with my family.

What I'm not so much looking forward to:

-Traveling sick. Why does "traveling" not have two L's? Anyway, I had a fever for about 8 hours last night, which doesn't always make for the very finest air travel experience. Hopefully this thing will have improved by tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

  1. Have a fun time at home! Say hello to the US of A for those of us who aren't making it back :)

    Ps...I think the Brits spell it with 2 ll's. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth is right1 I just had to redo about 82 pages of a programación to make it more British!

    And I always make it a point to tell the person sitting next to me on an airplane to wake me up for food. even when it's smoked almon after a 10.5 hours flight from Beijing to Paris. That dude was super annoying, too!

    Buen viaje! say hello to America for me...haven't pisared it for a year! JOLIIIIIIIN

    ReplyDelete